Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Platinum All-Star earrings

As I said with one of my previous posts, I have busy with a platinum competition and the theme was anniversaries. The anniversary that I chose to celebrate is the 100th year of converse all-stars which is this month.

The design for my piece was inspired by my lucky bean jewellery which I then adapted to fit in with the all-star theme. The 2 domes and the wire hook are made from platinum but I decided to use silver for the star. I used silver because platinum cannot be oxidized and I wanted the contrast between polished and blackened metal. I then used red perspex behind the star to also create some contrast, as with all of my work, colour plays an important part. I am very happy with the way the earrings turned out and am definitely going to be making more of them using silver.

No comments: