Monday, August 4, 2008

Pop Art.....

Pop art was one of the major art movements of the 20th century and is characterized by themes and techniques drawn form popular mass culture, such as advertising and comic books. I have started researching pop art for my btech, and have found that I am mostly drawn to Japanese pop art and I think that it is because most of the artists get their inspiration mainly from anime.


One of the artists that I liked the most is Aya Takano, who is a Japanese pop artist who is associated with the superflat movement. She is based in Kyoto and Tokyo, and belongs to Kaikai Kiki, a group of young artists organized by Takashi Murakami. She is influenced mainly by anime and American science fiction, and her art typically depicts skinny, often naked large-eyed female heroines.





No comments: