Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Attempting to melt my own wax



When trying to file and clean up my puzzle pieces I realised that the metal was too thick. I realised that I actually needed to start off with my wax being thinner from the start which is quite hard, because they come in thick sheets which then need to be filed thinner which is quite a mission. I decided to then melt the wax myself so that I could make it the thickness that I needed, but even that proved to be harder than it looked. I tried melting the wax over the stove and then pouring it into a mould to set but it didn't work because the wax does not set flat and starts to pull away from the sides of the mould. I have now found out the proper way to melt the wax, which is in the oven at 150' and I will be trying it today.

No comments: