Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cut out puzzles!

I really love the look of these earrings but I have to find a new way to make them. My problem is that the resin is starting to pull away from the side of the metal and is also starting to crack. Generally my jewellery always has some sort of backing plate behind so then the resin can just sit on the plate, but for these earrings I wanted the resin to be on both sides so there is no plate behind which is causing the resin to come out.

One way to solve this problem would be to have a backing plate where the resin will be, but I would prefer the resin to be visable on both sides so that when the earrings spin around, you will be able to see the colour from all angles so I think that I am going to have to start experimenting with different types of resins. At the moment I am using an acrylic resin which is quite brittle and is forming cracks so I want to try use an epoxy resin but I will have to find what pigment to use to get the colour. Hopefully it will work better because I really want to carry on with this idea as it is the most excited that I have been for a while and I have got lots of new designs which I am wanting to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the way a section of the silver puzzle piece in these earrings extrudes out the 'frame'. A lot of your other earrings all work within a frame and I think the shape breaking out the boundry a bit is very effective.

christyanne.wordpress.com